Monday, April 27, 2020

Viewpoint on Family

The concept of family is remarkably interesting since everybody has a certain viewpoint of what is meaningful to them. The general belief is that your family should be able to have your back through the good and bad. That is never the case in the long run.

You must think that I am speaking on this topic based on idealism or theory. That is far from the truth, this is all based on my experience. Here are a few details about me, I was born into a family of five from my mother’s side and born into a family of four from my father’s side. On my mother’s side, I have 2 brothers (really have 3 since my stepfather had a son that grew up with us) and 2 sisters than on my father’s side, I have 1 brother and 2 sisters. The only full-blooded sibling I have from the same mother and father is Kevin. I grew up with the belief that family should stick together no matter what and you can never choose which family you are born into.

Now back to why the general belief is like the belief of Santa Claus or the tooth fairy. I personally try to keep the peace and understand other people’s viewpoint but, in the end, you have to cut ties or keep a certain distance to go forward in your life. I always thought that the only thing different about being family from being friends is that you will fight and have disagreement but overall, you have a deep understanding and respect of each other to never cross the line. That belief has flip itself upside down and that is not my stance anymore. I mentally lost one sibling and I have to keep a certain distance from another. I have made friends that are close to me as siblings.

I am about to turn 30 years old and this will be the next milestone in my life. The new friendship that you make going forward will be a new extended family member that will be able to celebrate who you are and walk with you on your journey. My father was excessively big on friendship and being true to them like family. I hope I can be just as passionate as him when it comes to living life to the fullest. Now go out there and make a new family member who is on your wavelength. Who will you choose to love and connect with?

No comments:

Post a Comment